NOT YOUR TYPICAL CHEMICAL ANALYSIS LABORATORY
Unlike most analytical laboratories that provide routine chemical testing services i.e. analysis of materials based on standard methods, our experts specialise in the non-routine testing of unknown materials and substances. Our forensic background enables us to assist our clients and add-value to different stages of their enquiry/investigation.
An unknown sample is typically submitted for:
- Identification(qualitative determination)
- What is the identity of the unknown sample?
- Is it a pure substance or a mixture?
- Was the bulk contaminated by a foreign material?
- Comparison with a sample from a known source.
- Example 1: Goods were stolen from a warehouse. Could the unknown sample have originated from the warehouse?
- Example 2: Person A possesses a substance which visually resembles the unknown sample. Could the unknown sample have originated from Person A?
- Characterisation of the unknown sample and the sample from the known source and their comparison provides vital links between them.
- How much of substance X is present in the unknown sample?
- Most requests for the analysis of unknowns are qualitative in nature. In some cases, the amount of each component in a mixture may be required.
- Investigative leads
- Provision of leads for investigators by providing answers to the following questions:
- Where did the unknown substance originate from?
- What is the chemical reactivity, compatibility and stability of the unknown substance?
- At which stage of the overall process did the unknown substance contaminate the bulk?
- What is it used for?
- Who has access to such a substance?
- Does the substance pose a health hazard?
CHEMICAL TESTING SERVICES
Chemical testing services offered by TFEG includes but are not limited to the following:
- Adulterants in food
- Counterfeit products
- Contaminants in pharmaceutical products, fuel oils,
- Damage analysis (Cause of damage, Tampering vs wear and tear)
- Unknowns stains, liquids, powders, materials
We are able to conduct trace or bulk analysis, work with complex sample matrices, contaminated or non-pristine samples etc.
To find out more, drop us an email at email@example.com or call us at 6459 0494
- Non-routine and customised testing of unknown substances
- Counterfeit consumer products
- Unknown Chemicals and Materials – A Primer for Lawyers – Singapore Law Gazette, Mar 2016
- Police report made against pet cremation company over ‘fake’ ashes (video) – CNA, Aug 2016
- Pet cremains – Are the bone ashes my pet’s?